History of Ginger Root
Ginger is quite a common ingredient in many dishes and is widely used for its medicinal properties. But believe it or not, this common plant has not so common back in the day. In fact, it is believed that ginger root originally came from China where it was considered a luxury ingredient. However, it didn’t stay in China for long and soon came to the other parts of the world.
Ginger was introduced to the rest of the world by India. From where it was taken to Rome where it instantly became a favorite spice. Furthermore, it was in the 1st century that ginger made an appearance in the Mediterranean regions that’s to the spice traders.
Today ginger is an essential part of many cuisines. What’s interesting is that it has a prominent appearance in almost every Caribbean dish especially right here in Trinidad and Tobago. Although the root is not native to the region, it stills grows perfectly well here thanks to the tropical and warm climate. Nowadays, ginger is grown in almost every region of the world however, India stands first in its production.
Who Created Ginger Beer?
When you hear the word ginger, the first thing that comes to mind is ginger beer. Thanks to some unknown person, this delicious, fermented, and brewed beverage were created in England in the mid-1700s and its recipe made its way to Caribbean some time after. It is made by fermenting alcohol, sugar, ginger, and water. Today, it is a popular beverage that is most liked beverage during the holidays and the Christmas season. Today, you can get the ginger beer without alcohol. It is more like a soft drink that is carbonated instead of fermented.
How to make Ginger Beer?
Now, you might enjoy delicious fizzy ginger beer, but have you ever given a thought to preparing one in your kitchen? If you think you will need a soda machine for the purpose, you are wrong. If you are an experimental cook to enjoy trying new dishes, you should try making ginger beer the old way. This particular recipe comes from right here in the Caribbean and is a perfect way to enjoy homemade ginger beer. Here is how to make ginger beer.
1 cup white sugar
½ cup water
2 tbsp ginger, freshly grated
Ginger Beer ingredients:
1/8 tsp brewer’s yeast
3 tbsp lemon juice, fresh
7 cups water
- In a saucepan, add water, sugar and freshly grated ginger.
- Place the saucepan over medium heat, and stir until the sugar melts.
- Once the sugar is dissolved, turn off the heat and let it steep for an hour.
- Strain this syrup to discard the ginger.
- Now this ginger syrup is the secret behind making the ginger ale. This golden syrup right there is the key so you have to guard it with your life.
- In a dark coloured bottle, add ice and pour 4-6 tbsp of ginger syrup over it. Add 1 cup of soda club.
- Next, add yeast, water, and lemon juice.
- Seal the bottle tightly and shake well until the yeast dissolves.
- Now place the bottle in a dark place for 2-3 days.
- Once the days are by, open the bottle to release the pressure.
- Refrigerate for up to a week.
- Now you can enjoy delicious homemade ginger ale or ginger beer.
You've Made Ginger Beer, What's Next?
Congratulations, you’ve made it to the end and now you have your very own batch of ginger beer to sip on and enjoy. If you’ve enjoyed this article subscribe to our newsletter to get updated on tons of new articles as soon as they are released and feel free to check out our recipe section for great cocktail recipes you can craft on your own and enjoy. Till next time, cheers!